We publish four issues per year: January, April, July, and October. The reading period for our next quarterly ends September 1st, 2011.
We want weird, uniquely bizarre, highly imaginative stories with a literary sensibility. Surprise us, awe us, frighten us, or make us laugh – we’re open to nearly anything!
All work must be original and previously unpublished. The stories we accept run between 500 and 6,000 words. Un-agented and unsolicited manuscripts are welcome. We are open to new or unpublished authors and publish up to ten stories per quarterly. Due to legal concerns, we can only accept work by authors who are 18 or older.
We Do Not Accept
Non-fiction, autobiographical works, plays, poems, novels, work which is highly derivative or rife with clichés, pornography, or works that are unnecessarily violent, vulgar, or bigoted. No reprints.
Formatting Your Submission
* Send your submission in the body of an e-mail. We do not accept attachments.
* Include your name, the story’s title, and the story’s length at the beginning of the e-mail.
* Use standard online formatting. The story should be single spaced, with a blank line between paragraphs. Paragraphs should not be indented.
* Follow your story with a short bio (50-100 words). You are welcome to link to other published work, or to a personal webpage.
* We also want a brief (try to limit yourself to six sentences max) blurb about the story: the inspiration behind it, interesting tidbits about the character and story, or details you’ve drawn from your own experiences, etc. A peering behind your words, if you will, a chance for the reader to gaze into your mind. Something a little like this:
The Cat, Ebola, and a Shoebox Coffin was born from the decision to use a Ferrero Rocher container as a coffin for my pet hamster, Kyna. I saved it for two years, and when the time finally came to use it, she was invariably cremated and I threw the container away. Which brings me to a confession: Yes, I, at one time, was something of a hypochondriac myself, although never quite as terribly intense as Dante. And, no, I’ve never run over a cat, just so you know…
Sound good? Awesome! Send fiction submissions to: firstname.lastname@example.org
If you wish to submit artwork to be considered for a publication, please attach a jpg of the image you’re submitting in an email. We’re open to nearly anything (so long as it catches our fancy). Reply time for art submissions is entirely variable, depending on how many stories we have the cue for the site, and whether we love it and want to consider it for future submissions. Artwork can be sent as a jpg attachment to email@example.com or with a link to your online gallery or deviant art (et al.) account.
We try to respond to all submissions within 4-6 weeks. If you have not received a reply within three months, feel free to inquire about the status of your submission at the address above.
We archive all published stories.
We are currently a non-profit zine, though we’re hoping to rectify this in the months to come. Please note we do accept simultaneous submissions, but we request to be informed immediately if they are accepted elsewhere. And, as a courtesy to our staff, we request single submissions, no more than one per week.